Thursday, January 31, 2013

Bushwick Bill's "Drwahbushwickching" sampled a Vietnamese Song



When I first heard this song. It hit me, "That's a Vietnamese Song!"
I didn't know the title, or artist. Had to ask pop's, played the song, and he ID it. Googled for the song...prefect match.

I've been interested in finding some Viet samples myself. It's tough, cause alot of Vietnamese music pre war have been lost, destroyed. What remains over here in the States is alot cassette tapes, variety shows (Paris by Night, Asia, Thuy Nga). I did manage to find two 7" from a box of records that was going to be recycled. The story of how those 7" made it here States' side must have been amazing. Cats like Onra have went back to Vietnam and found what left of records, tapes, reels. It's all kind of inspiring me to take a look at my own cultural music for inspiration.

Bushwick and whoever was behind the production, must have heard this sample from local Vietnamese owned shops in Texas. There's a sizable Vietnamese community down there in Texas (ala the famous jeweler to Hip Hop Stars Johnny Dang aka TV Johnny is down there).

With out further ado here where Bushwick Bill's "Drwahbushwickching" sample comes from.


Artist - Như Quỳnh
Title - "Chuyện Hoa Sim" (The Story of Rhodomyrtus tomentosa)

No comments:

Post a Comment